"We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open." ~ Jawaharal Nehru

Saturday, January 12, 2013

50 books

It's a new year altogether and people tend to make resolutions.
Resolutions, targets, goals... whatever you may call them, it all requires effort, work and commitment.
I won't call mine a resolution but more of a TARGET. Something I hope that I will achieve by the time I leave Song (which is probably by the end of the year).

As you know, I moved here with 35 boxes, a third of those my library. I have yet to unpack all my books - of the academic and not academic variety for want of proper bookcases, so they still sit unceremoniously in boxes in my hall. At the moment, I only have 1 tall bookcase - the bottom already filled with my Lonely Planets, Rough Guides & Frommers'. 1 shelve dedicated to all my academic books & the rest to works of fiction and non.

So I have decided to challenge myself to read more (which isn't something too hard to do) and read 50 non-academic books by the year end. That would mean 4-5 books a month, at least 1 book a week. 
Books like "Who moved my cheese", I can finish in an hour but then it takes a couple of rereads to truly absorb the wisdom contained within. Then there are heavier reads like Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "Love in the time of cholera" or Salman Rushdie's "Midnight's Children" which is now a big screen movie. I wonder will it ever arrive on Malaysian shores.

Anyway, here are some of the books I've read so far:




   
That's part of my reading list for now. Still have all those works of fiction from 2011 BBW's crazy sale which I will slowly but steadily plough thru.

Whats on your reading list for 2013?

No comments:

Post a Comment